69b9020515a885ffd7859c571ecd7fa3

Monday, July 2, 2012

The Sign Painter -- Freebie -- Common Core Text Exemplar

Here's another post in my series on the Common Core text exemplars for second and third grade. My students are going to love the illustrations. Allen Say's beautiful text tells a captivating story that leaves just enough to the imagination. It is a great title to use for inferencing, making predictions, describing how characters change in the course of a story.....you name it, this book has it!

This activity has three different documents for literacy stations in one download! Students can make predictions, analyze characters, and discuss story elements. 
Just click on the pic above to download the file.

Please leave a comment and let me know if you use any of the text exemplars. 




9 comments:

  1. Mary,

    I am a recent graduate @ 40 after raising 4 kiddos of my own I got my teaching degree. I just got my own classroom -2nd grade and am super excited. I love, love, love your ideas and that you so willingly share them with rookies like me :)
    Thanks so much, I appreciate learning from masters in the profession!
    ~Stacee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacee. Good luck in your classroom. There is nothing better than getting paid for doing something you really enjoy doing. And thanks, too, for the comments! They keep me posting!

      Delete
  2. I love the sign painter ideas! I can't wait to use all my wonderful ideas I downloaded from your site in my classroom this year. I will post a comment each time I use your idea to let you know how my kids enjoyed it. Thank you so much for your time in making and sharing your ideas with us!!

    -Lori Donahoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. As long as I get comments letting me know people are using my freebies, I'll keep putting them up.

      Delete
  3. I am still so baffled by your generosity of your time and your creative ability. I get so excited every time I recieve an e-mail from your blog because I know it is something I will be able to use and it is always something I need. Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fancy Nancy! I have been lucky enough my entire educational career to work with people who share, so I want to do the same.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this book! I have hard of The Signmaker's Assistant (and love it)- I wonder if they'd go together!

    Thank you for the freebie! Your resources are always well thought out for teaching and I love it!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always so excited when I see you've posted something. You are really digging deep into the Common Core (figuring out how to teach things that are honestly hurting my brain this deep into Summer) and introducing great new books. Where are you getting the list of Common Core Exemplars?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am using the text exemplars. I was very happy to find this unit, thank you for posting it. I was able to use RL 3.1 and a graphic organizer with this story as well. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete