69b9020515a885ffd7859c571ecd7fa3

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Poetry Activities

My kids are really getting into reading poetry.....lots more than I thought they would.

Each kiddo got their own copy of the poem to add to their poetry journal. We drew boxes around each stanza, highlighted rhyming words, underlined examples of repetition, and marked examples of alliteration.
I think their favorite part is determining the rhythm of the poem.

We started by clapping to a simple song they had done in Music class. I kept clapping while I was talking, so that they could see that regular talking doesn't have a rhythm. We kept clapping while I read the poem, then they read it with me.

We moved into marking the lines of poetry.
We used dots for unstressed syllables and lines for the emphasized syllables.
They've been clapping and trying to make regular beats out of ordinary conversation!
We also added a foldable of poetry elements to our Reading Journals.


We're concentrating on poetry for a few more weeks. I think I'm going to have to step up my original plans. My kiddos are really getting into this!

Leave a comment with your favorite ideas and activities for poetry.

6 comments:

  1. Mary, do you make your own poems or do you rewrite published poems?
    Rose rwenzel@netnet.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, I like using the book, "Bear Feels Sick", especially in the winter Germ season. I choose one or two word families, then let students "scavenger hunt" for those rhyming words and add them to a chart. I also love the book Be Glad Your Nose is On Your Face, which is chock full of kids' poetry.

    Jessica
    www.learningmetamorphosis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poetry idea! I'm going to use this surprise snow day to write up the poems on chart paper!

    debinderry@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post so much I used in my blog post today - Monday Inspiration. I hope you don't mind. Thanks for all your amazing ideas. Love.This.Blog!
    Heather
    http://kickinitwithclass.blogspot.com/2013/04/inspiration-monday-poetry-addition.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I'm teaching Frost's "Stopping By Woods" poem this coming week, and will definitely keep these in mind. Feel free to follow my facebook page: www.facebook.com/theowlspot and my Teachers Pay Teachers store: www.teacherspayteachers.com/store/Martha-Hach I will keep visiting your blog and checking in on what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete