I've "met" so many new friends through my blog.
Two Three of them have "tagged" me in a "get-to-know your blogging friends" chain.
Here's my responses and questions for those I'm tagging.
1. You must post the rules.
2. Post 12 fun facts about yourself on the blog post.
3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and then create twelve new questions for the people you tagged.
4. Tag 12 people and link them in your post.
5. Let them know you've tagged them.
12 Fun facts about me? Heavens. Here goes.....
1. I have the two funniest kids EVER...Mike is 21 (how did that happen so fast?)...Martha is 20 (Really? 20?)
2. I'm married to Allen, who I've known since Second Grade.
3. I really, really, really would like to write a book, but I'm not much of a writer.
4. I could retire this coming September...but won't. Thirty years doesn't mean Social Security!
5. I am definitely a morning person. It's easy to get up at 4:45 and get on the elliptical, but hard to stay up past 9:00!
6. I love, love, love going to Bonnaroo. My "Roonie" friend (and co-teacher) and I even camped out our first year we went, but we decided we live close enough to have air conditioning and a comfortable bed every night instead!
7. I make a list for EVERYTHING, but I'm having a hard time with this one.
8. I love cooking. Spent the morning yesterday freezing meals for the kids to take back to college with them when they leave today.
9. I don't cook if the kids aren't home.
10. I love taking photographs and wish I could be good at it.
11. I have a cur-razy dog, Tillie. My best friend rescued her from the pound and gave her to my daughter one year for Christmas. She is all mutt and is as cute as can be.
12. I'm glad this is Number 12 and I can stop.
The questions I have to answer.........
From Beth Ann at Taming My Flock of Firsties
1. How long have you been teaching? 29 years
2. What grades have you taught? K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Looped with 4 and 5 and now with 2 and 3 Was a Supervisor for nine years and decided I wanted to retire from a classroom and school community, not from a Central Office, so I asked to go back to teaching three years ago.
3. What do you do when you have time off? In the Summer, I go to the lake, read, relax, cook, be with friends. If it's not Summer, I read, blog, be with friends.
4. If you could change one thing about your teaching, what would it be? Less pressure from the State over evaluations and more support instead of all the teacher-bashing we have suffered lately.
5. What is your strength (teaching)? I LOVE it and I think the kids know that I do, so they work hard for me.
6. If you could be a superhero, which one would you be? Superman, of course, because he was the original superhero (I think). But I would be better, cuz I'm a woman!
7. What are three words that describe your class?
8. How late do you stay at school? Depends on what's going on. I hardly ever leave before 4:00...that's an early day. Usually stay till 5:00 or after and usually work either most of the day on Saturday or Sunday.
9. How fast can you type? I have no idea.
10. What are your goals for this year? (personal or professional) Personal goals: Get in better shape and get the house organized. Professional goals: Let our TN legislature and governor know there are plenty of GOOD, EFFECTIVE teachers who are HURT by their recent actions, which in turn has hurt our kids.
11. If you could have anything you wanted for your classroom, what would it be? I would have my Promethean Board and projector hung in a different spot so my classroom would be run more effectively.
12. What are some signals you use in your classroom?
When I need their attention, I yell out FREEZE! or TRANQUIL! (The kids suggested I change it to tranquil when it was one of our vocab words.) I also have a little gadget that does a Tarzan yell. That gets 'em every time.
And from Mrs. S at Stapler's Strategies.....
1. How did you decide to become a teacher? My grandmother taught in a one-room schoolhouse and I always thought I wanted to do exactly what she did!
2. Did you marry your high school sweetheart? No, but we have known each other since elementary school.
3. Where would you choose to retire and why? At the lake, as long as it was close enough to my grandkids.
4. What is your favorite cook-at-home meal? Mashed potatoes, fried okra, salmon patties or chicken tenders
5. Do you have a teacher "bestie" with whom you plan? Tell about him/her if so. I have three! We plan together each week and collaborate every day on something! I love my Second/Third Grade Looping Block!
6. What is your pet peeve? I have two. One is people who are late ALL THE TIME and the other is people who think rules don't apply to them.
7. Does you team share everything or do you have some "stingy" teamies? Not a single "stingy" teacher on our team!
8. What is one of the funniest stories you can tell about your teaching experiences? My first year of teaching I had a little first grade boy yell out form the restroom that was in the back of our class that he had a tick on his "tallywhacker" and needed me to come get it off!
9. Have you ever run into your garage door? Just the side of the door in our old house.
10. Do you have pets? What kind and how many? (See above answers.)
11. Are you an early bird or a night owl? Definitely early bird.
12. Where is the most exotic place you've ever been? San Juan, Puerto Rico
1. What is your favorite food/drink to de-stress? Diet Coke
2. What is your favorite book to read to your class? Anything with Junie B. Jones!
3. What is your favorite book to read yourself? I like all kinds of books. The Sunday Wife is one that I have read over and over.
4. How far do you travel to get to your school? about 8 minutes
5. How many students are in your class? 22
6. Do you exercise? How often and what types? Elliptical every morning at 5:00 a.m.
7. What is your favorite topic or unit to teach? Reading/Comprehension
8. What behavior plans/rewards do you have in place in your classroom? Our school does School-wide Positive Behavior.
9. What do you wear to school? leggings, dress, boots
10. How old/new is your school? three years old!
11. What technology do you have available/use in your classroom? Three student computers, three laptops, teacher computer, document camera, Promethean Board and projector, ActivResponse System, iPods, laptop carts available for checkout
12. How do you spoil yourself? I buy a book when I want it.
And here are my twelve questions for the twelve people that I'm tagging......
1. What's your easiest thing about teaching this year?
2. What's the hardest thing about teaching this year?
3. What is a professional book you recommend to everyone you work with?
4. What is a new idea you have tried this year that has really worked?
5. What book character do you most want to be like?
6. What is your favorite book or author to read aloud to your class?
7. What treat or pick me up do you keep hidden in your desk at school?
8. What one new thing do you want to try on your blog?
9. What do you do on snow days?
10. What time do you get up on school days?
11. What is your favorite thing to Pin?
12. What is the last movie you saw?
And my twelve people.....
Third Grade Gridiron
Third Grade's a Hoot
Buzzin' with Ms. B
Thinking Out Loud
Mrs. Freshwater's Class
The Inspired Apple
Doodle Bugs Teaching
Teaching in High Heels
Third Grade Thinkers