Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Simple and Compound Sentences Sort - Freebie!

We begin writing compound sentences this week.
My kiddos have done a pretty good job expanding simple sentences, so I'm hoping that will carry over to writing compound sentences. Once I think they know the difference between a simple and compound sentence, I'll use this activity as a quick formative assessment in small groups.
Click on the pic above to get your copy. If you like this activity, go {HERE} for more compound sentence activities at my Teachers Notebook Shop.
Can you leave a compound sentence as a comment? :)

If you haven't entered the Tablet for the Teacher Sweepstakes over at Teachers Notebook, go now! Who wouldn't want a new tablet? Click below to enter.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for another great freebie!

    debinderry@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Fourth Grade Flipper, and I'm sure glad I did! I am your newest follower :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I've enjoyed looking through your blog! However, I did notice several unfortunate cultural and scientific misconceptions in this Igloo Sentence Sort.

    I am a 4th/5th grade teacher on the North Slope of Alaska, and my students are Inupiat Alaskan Native . . . what most people would call 'Eskimo.' Your poster depicts a white child with a penguin and an ice igloo. Perhaps you might not know this, but most Native Alaskans are darker in complexion with a different eye shape that more closely resembles the Asian cultures. On a scientific note, penguins only live in the Antarctic region in the Southern Hemisphere . . . not the in the northern Arctic region where Native Alaskan cultures are located. Also, eskimos living only in ice igloos is a very common misconception. The inuit word 'iglu' means a house built of any material, not just ice. Native Alaskans would have only used ice houses for a short time while hunting . . . for most of the year, non-nomadic Native Alaskans would have used sod houses. Today, Native Alaskans live in houses built with modern building materials just like any other person in the United States.

    I don't mean this in a snarky or condescending way at all; I only wanted to inform you of a few misconceptions as a fellow educator that lives in the arctic region and has had to learn these things firsthand.

    I hope you have a great school year. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the freebie!

    Also, thanks for sharing a great insight on their culture Ms. Collier.

    ReplyDelete