69b9020515a885ffd7859c571ecd7fa3

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Red Rover, Red Rover, Let the Vowels Come Over

We were reviewing long and short vowel sounds this week and my kids just weren't getting it, so I decided to give them cards with our spelling words and have them sort themselves into groups of either long vowels or short vowels on opposite sides of the room. Even after they grouped, they still were not putting the words in the correct category. On the spur of the moment, I told the short vowel side of the room to call one of the players from the other side that didn't belong over to their side, just like when they played Red Rover at recess. They loved it! We also played it to review common and proper nouns. Click on the pic below to download the directions and the words we used. (They are from Scott Foresman's Unit 2 "Penguin Chick.")
.....and don't forget to leave a comment if you download!


Graphics by ScrappinDoodles.com
Fonts by KevinandAmanda.com

10 comments:

  1. I have just started following you, and borrowing lots of freebies. Thanks for all you share! I'm a 2nd grade teacher and sometimes I feel like I'm swimming in 1st grade and kindergarten ideas. It's nice to get some that fit my higher kids better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute! thank you....when we get to open and closed syllables words, I will defnitely be using these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Thanks! Love this and it will help me reluctant readers... YOU ROCK!

    Melly<><

    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great, original idea! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be great for my students who have difficulty with the vowels. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used this with my RTI group as a review after we played short/long vowel jeopardy and sorted 'til we were blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea!! Thanks for sharing.
    Barbara
    happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an engaging activity to get kids out of their seats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a great activity to get the students up and moving...as well as practicing vowel sorts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete