69b9020515a885ffd7859c571ecd7fa3

Friday, August 30, 2013

Over in the Meadow Freebie

I know you've heard the children's rhyme, "Over in the Meadow." Ever since we used it last week, it's been playing over and over and OVER in my head! It's the perfect poem to use to introduce setting in poetry. First, I sketched out the bare bones of a meadow.
Then, we gave groups of our first graders a different verse of the poem and asked them to illustrate it.



They loved drawing the pictures and talking about the different animals. It was a simple, fun way to review setting. Click on the pic below to get a copy of the poem. Cut apart the verses and you are ready to go! 


I'm having a giveaway in my Teachers Notebook Shop. Click {HERE} to follow my shop and enter. You could win a copy of "My Teacher Likes to Say" activities on punctuating dialogue and figurative language.

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I might use it next week. I love group drawing activities and anything to do with poems.

    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your kiddos have as much fun as mine did!

    Pitner's Potpourri

    ReplyDelete